Development and implementation of the national trade policy is among the tasks of the Ministry of Economy. In pursuance of the committed task, the Ministry of Economy fulfils a number of functions in the area of domestic, foreign trade and control of strategic goods, including the following:
In the area of foreign trade:
- shapes in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs the national foreign trade policy;
- is a party to activity of relevant EU institutions in considering issues of application of trade safeguard measures (against unfair commercial practice by the third countries) and drafts Lithuania‘s position papers on these issues; assists economic entities of the Republic of Lithuania in defending their interests;
- carries out work related with issuance of prior authorisations for outward processing of textiles in third countries as well as administration of double-checking system and import quotas, surveillance documentation applied to imports of textiles and steel products from the third countries;
- examines, in accordance with the procedure established in the EU legislation and the law of the Republic of Lithuania, applications and/or representations regarding autonomous customs duties suspension and quotas for imported goods submitted by Lithuanian economic entities.
In the area of domestic trade:
- takes part in shaping and implementing the domestic trade policy;
- drafts laws of the Republic of Lithuania, regulations and other administrative provisions in the areas of retail trade, trade in alcohol and tobacco, advertising, buy-up of base metals scrap and waste, accounting and storage, labelling of goods.
In the area of export control of strategic goods:
- conducts monitoring activities in the field of export, import, transit and brokering activities of dual use goods and technologies as well as military equipment and carries out these activities in cooperation with other public institutions and establishments in accordance with the procedure established by the Law on Control of Import, Transit and Export of Strategic Goods of the Republic of Lithuania;
- issues documentation required for export of dual use goods and technologies and export, import, transit or brokering activities of goods on the list of the common military equipment;
- drafts laws of the Republic of Lithuania, regulations and other administrative provisions related with control of export of dual use goods and technologies and export, import, transit or brokering activities of goods on the list of the common military equipment.
Last date edited: 2012-04-24